Friday, May 29, 2009

A Half Dozen Smiles

I woke this morning with a bowl full of trials.
I would learn later the gift of a half a dozen smiles.
After my shower and watching the morning news,
I left my apartment to walk to work not wanting to hear all the how do you dos.
Along the walk was a mother and small child.
Both looked so fragile and thin, yet sweet and mild.
From my purse I grabbed a couple dollars to give to the mother before going on my way.
The little child gave me a big smile hug then saying have a good day.
After they left I saw that I gave them two twenties instead of what I though.
As I continued along my way I mumbled they better be happy with what they got.
As I went to board the subway a little boy looked at me with deep brown eyes.
He looked lost and about to cry tears that would flood the heaven’s skies.
Before getting on the subway I helped him find his way only get back in time to miss my train.
Then all of a sudden I could above it had started to rain.
I was late getting into work and boss was upset.
I knew as soon as I walked in a lecture I would get.
By noon my head started to ache and I began to feel ill.
I looked inside my desk and saw I had not a pain pill.
Down to the corner store I started to walk when I meet two teens down on their knees.
I asked what was wrong and found out they lost their car keys.
I let them borrow my phone to call for a ride.
And two smiles shown that they could not hide.
After work on my way home I saw the little boy who was lost.
And being yelled at was what helping him cost.
Behind him was a handsome man with a smile on his face.
The little boy said the police got him to his dad then smiled an gave me an embrace.
Just before entering my building the mother and child was by the door.
They both looked much better than they did before.
Both smiling said a polite thank you and said it meant so much.
No one before me gave them the time of day or such.
Just as I laid down to go to bed I felt warm and fuzzy inside.
And the imagine of the half a dozen smile could hide.
I knew right then tomorrow will be a better day.
For today I had been given a gift by being there for others in some way.

2 comments:

by mom's children said...

This is so wonderful Cara!! May the chosest blessing of the Father be with you...always.
Much love, Aunt Pearl

cbg84 said...

Thank you.